The best way to keep your teeth healthy and to avoid any future dental procedures is with preventative care. Preventative care consists of all the procedures that could save your teeth from decay and disease and will help keep your teeth as healthy as possible for as long as possible. Dr. Denise Stone at Stone Family Dentistry in Charleston, SC, can help guide you and answer any questions you may have about preventative care.
What is Preventative Care?
Preventative care consists of any procedure or treatment that prevents decay or disease from happening to you. Some examples include:
- Professional Teeth Cleanings- When you see your dentist in Charleston, SC, for a regular checkup, they will also perform a cleaning. These regular cleanings help get rid of any built-up plaque or tartar that may be hiding in hard-to-reach spots and reduces your risk of disease by getting rid of bacteria in your gums.
- Dental Sealants- Sealants are used to fill in the grooves in the back teeth and prevent any cavities from forming.
- Fluoride- Fluoride helps strengthen the teeth and make them more resistant to decay. Fluoride can come from your drinking water and from toothpaste but can also be applied straight to your teeth by your dentist at your regular checkup.
- Oral Cancer Screenings- Oral cancer screenings also happen at every checkup and are the best way to detect any signs of oral cancer as early as possible. The sooner oral cancer is caught, the easier it is to treat.
- Dental X-Rays- X-Rays help detect any sign of disease that isn’t visible with the eyes. Your dentist can detect any signs of tooth decay, gum disease, or tumors easily with the use of X-Rays.
Contact Your Dentist Today!
To increase your chance of keeping your smile as healthy as possible for as long as possible, it’s important that you take advantage of preventative care and visit your dentist for regular checkups when recommended. Contact Dr. Stone at Stone Family Dentistry in Charleston, SC, at (843) 556-6566 today!