Posts for tag: Preventive Care
The best way to keep your teeth healthy and to avoid any future dental procedures is with preventative care. Preventative care consists of all the procedures that could save your teeth from decay and disease and will help keep your teeth as healthy as possible for as long as possible. Dr. Denise Stone at Stone Family Dentistry in Charleston, SC, can help guide you and answer any questions you may have about preventative care.
What is Preventative Care?
Preventative care consists of any procedure or treatment that prevents decay or disease from happening to you. Some examples include:
- Professional Teeth Cleanings- When you see your dentist in Charleston, SC, for a regular checkup, they will also perform a cleaning. These regular cleanings help get rid of any built-up plaque or tartar that may be hiding in hard-to-reach spots and reduces your risk of disease by getting rid of bacteria in your gums.
- Dental Sealants- Sealants are used to fill in the grooves in the back teeth and prevent any cavities from forming.
- Fluoride- Fluoride helps strengthen the teeth and make them more resistant to decay. Fluoride can come from your drinking water and from toothpaste but can also be applied straight to your teeth by your dentist at your regular checkup.
- Oral Cancer Screenings- Oral cancer screenings also happen at every checkup and are the best way to detect any signs of oral cancer as early as possible. The sooner oral cancer is caught, the easier it is to treat.
- Dental X-Rays- X-Rays help detect any sign of disease that isn’t visible with the eyes. Your dentist can detect any signs of tooth decay, gum disease, or tumors easily with the use of X-Rays.
Contact Your Dentist Today!
To increase your chance of keeping your smile as healthy as possible for as long as possible, it’s important that you take advantage of preventative care and visit your dentist for regular checkups when recommended. Contact Dr. Stone at Stone Family Dentistry in Charleston, SC, at (843) 556-6566 today!
Want to keep your oral health at a high level? Then you should work closely with your dentist, Dr. Denise Stone of Stone Family Dentistry in Charleston, SC. She can recommend to you specific preventive care treatments that will keep your mouth in top shape and free of oral issues.
What Does Preventive Care Involve?
The first step in any preventive care plan is a thorough evaluation of your mouth to figure out which treatments you have to undergo. The primary goal is to maintain good oral health by avoiding decay, periodontal disease, and other dental health problems. You’ll then undergo a thorough cleaning that involves scaling and polishing your teeth to remove tartar and plaque.
You will also discuss your diet as well as other habits like drinking and smoking that could contribute to poor oral health. When you consume sugary drinks and foods, the bacteria found in the plaque buildup turns the sugar into acids that can significantly contribute to decay. In addition, plaque could likewise cause soreness and swelling if it’s not thoroughly and regularly removed.
If you have existing dental fillings, bonding, veneers, or other dental treatments, your dentist will likewise check on these to ensure that they’re in great condition. Otherwise, you will need additional or touchup treatments for them as well to prevent further damage. Following this, you will just need to follow all of your dentist’s recommendations and continue to receive regular dental examinations and cleanings from our Charleston office every six months.
Need More Preventive Care Advice?
Contact Stone Family Dentistry in Charleston, SC, to schedule your appointment with Dr. Denise Stone. Call (843) 556-6566 for further details.