How your dentist in Charleston, South Carolina can help with your dentures
Dentures have been a go-to solution to replace missing teeth for a long time. If you wear a denture, you may be wondering if you are doing all you can do to take care of your denture. Proper care can help your denture last longer so you can continue to enjoy eating the foods you love.
Dr. Denise Stone at Stone Family Dentistry in Charleston, South Carolina offers a wide variety of dental services, including tooth replacement options like dentures.
Here are some tips for taking care of your denture:
- Always be careful when handling your dentures; they are well made, but they can still break, so don’t ever try to bend the plastic or the clasps.
- Remove your dentures and rinse them off after you eat; this helps to keep them free of food debris, which can irritate your soft tissue.
- After you have rinsed your dentures, gently brush your tissue with a piece of gauze or soft toothbrush; regularly cleaning helps to reduce levels of bacteria.
- Use a denture cleanser at least once each day to remove debris, plaque, and denture adhesive.
- Always remove your dentures when you go to sleep, to help limit bacterial growth which can cause inflammation and infection.
- Place your dentures in soaking solution overnight to keep your denture moist and comfortable to wear.
- Always rinse your denture free of soaking solution before you place it in your mouth.
- Never use sharp tools, harsh chemicals or abrasive agents to clean your denture. Don’t use whitening agents containing bleach on your denture, and avoid cleaning your denture with very hot water because it can change the fit and shape of your denture.
Dentures can give you a lifetime of beautiful smiles and great chewing ability. Dentures are an investment and will last longer with proper care. To find out more about denture care and other dental services, call Dr. Denise Stone of Stone Family Dentistry in Charleston, South Carolina at (843) 556-6566. Call today!