Tooth loss is a common dental issue for patients of all ages. By the age of 50, it’s estimated that Americans have lost an average of 12 teeth according to CDC statistics. Your smile is at risk if you continue to avoid getting a replacement tooth. The dental team at Stone Family Dentistry in Charleston, SC can fill the gap using a restorative treatment called dental implants.
Why It’s Important to Replace a Missing Tooth
Missing a tooth can damage not only your self-confidence, but also the stability of your entire smile. It can cause shifting, which would require orthodontic treatment. It’s uncomfortable to eat when you have large chunks of food caught in the open socket. Losing one tooth is also a slippery slope because it can cause you to neglect your overall dental hygiene, which in turn increases the chance of future tooth loss. It’s best to talk to your dentist about your replacement options very soon after you have a tooth extracted.
Choosing Dental Implants
When you’ve lost a tooth, you may assume that you must deal with a removable device that could slip out anytime and will have an uncomfortable fit. But with a dental implant, you do not have to worry about accidents when you’re around other people. You won’t have to keep your replacement device in a container at night. Once it is placed by your Charleston, SC dentist, it is there for the long-term and can last a lifetime with proper care. You’ll also be able to preserve some healthy bone and give that tissue a chance to regenerate over time.
Your Smile, Restored
You don’t have to give up on your smile after tooth loss—there’s a way to have it fully restored. Implanted teeth are virtually indistinguishable from natural ones, thanks to modern porcelain crowns. They are supported by durable, long-lasting titanium posts, which are hidden in the gumline. Your new tooth will stay rooted in your jaw as long as you brush, floss, rinse, and see your dentist for checkups every year.
Are You a Candidate for Implants?
It’s imperative that you go see your dentist for a consultation very soon to ensure that you’re still a good candidate for a dental implant. Call (843) 556-6566 today to see Dr. Denise Stone or Dr. David Stone at Stone Family Dentistry in Charleston, SC.
If you are the parent of a busy family, you probably know just how much time and effort goes into sticking to the agenda. From getting the kids to baseball practice on time to making sure that Grandma makes it to her fitness class, keeping a busy schedule can prove to be a weary task. Luckily, your family dentist can help you streamline at least one facet of your daily life and make scheduling and attending your family’s dental appointments easy. Find out more about having one dentist for your whole family and how it can benefit you with Dr. Denise Stone and Dr. David Stone, Jr. at Stone Family Dentistry in Charleston, SC.
What is a family dentist?
While some dentists choose to specialize in a certain type of dentistry, like cosmetic or restorative, or particular age, such as only seeing children or adults, a family dentist performs many types of dentistry on patients of any age. This means that your whole family, from your grandparent to your infant, can use the same dentist’s office.
How can family dentistry benefit me?
A family dentist allows you to consolidate your whole family’s dental appointments into a single day, with only one trip back and forth and minimal time off of work and school. Additionally, family dentistry keeps your family’s records all in one place, making them easier to collect if the need ever arose. Children can grow up feeling comfortable with the same dentist and dental practice, helping to normalize dental visits and help minimize dental anxiety.
Family Dentistry in Charleston, SC
If you think you can benefit from consolidating your family’s dental appointments, enjoying the freedom of knowing your dental care is taken care of, and giving your family the opportunity to share the same dentist, Stone Family Dentistry is here to help. For more information on family dentistry or how it can benefit you and your family, please contact Dr. Denise Stone and Dr. David Stone, Jr. at Stone Family Dentistry in Charleston, SC. Call (843) 556-6566 to schedule your appointment with your dentist today!
Your smile is one of the first things others see, making it an important part of your first impression. If you do not like the way your teeth look, why not renew them to ensure that you have a smile you feel proud of and feel comfortable using? Luckily, with your restorative dentist, you can do just that, improving your appearance and the functionality of your teeth in one fell swoop. Find out more about restorative dentistry with Dr. Denise Stone and Dr. David Stone at Stone Family Dentistry in Charleston, SC.
What is restorative dentistry?
Though restorative and cosmetic dentistry procedures tend to overlap in what facet of dentistry they fall under, restorative dentistry aims to improve the function of the teeth. A restorative dentistry procedure gives the patient a tooth effective in biting and chewing and does not necessarily focus on improving its appearance. However, many restorative procedures improve the appearance of the tooth as well.
Popular Restorative Dentistry Procedures
- Dental Crowns: Dental crowns restore a damaged tooth to its natural state using a tooth-shaped porcelain cap which fits over the tooth. Crowns can achieve many tasks, including stabilizing a large filling, protecting a tooth from everyday use, or even holding a dental bridge in place.
- Fillings: Dental fillings repair mild to moderate decay which has not yet reached the inside of the tooth to infect its inner tissues.
- Bridges: Dental bridges replace a missing tooth. A removable bridge attaches to the surrounding teeth using metal clasps while a permanent bridge uses dental crowns to stay in place.
- Dental Implants: Dental implants also replace a different tooth, but are surgically implanted into the jawbone in the mouth, ensuring they stay permanently in place and feel and function just like natural teeth.
- Dentures: Dentures replace all of the teeth on an arch. There are many types of dentures available, including traditional, partial, implant-supported, and immediate.
Restorative Dentistry in Charleston, SC
For more information on restorative dentistry, please contact Dr. Denise Stone and Dr. David Stone at Stone Family Dentistry in Charleston, SC. Call (843) 556-6566 to schedule your appointment with your dentist today!
Are you doing everything you can to keep your smile healthy? Preventative care is important to maintaining a healthy smile. Preventative care is the care you receive to prevent oral health problems. Stone Family Dentistry, which is located in Charleston, SC, offers a complete range of dental services. Dr. Denise Stone and Dr. David Stone Jr. are some of the finest dentists in Charleston, SC. Read on to find out why preventative care is so important.
Keep Your Smile Healthy
Regular dental visits are essential for the maintenance of healthy gums and teeth. If you need additional help, your dentist may suggest frequent visits. Spend some quality time with your dentist and you'll catch problems at an early stage when they are treatable. By seeing your dentist regularly and practicing good oral hygiene at home, you can help keep your smile healthy for a lifetime.
Prevent Tooth Decay
Plaque is a sticky film that contains bacteria and constantly forms on our teeth. This acidic substance eats away at the tooth enamel and can lead to decay. If not treated, tooth decay can cause infection, tooth pain, and tooth loss. Dental plaque can be removed by flossing and brushing regularly and getting professional dental cleanings.
Prevent Dental Diseases
During your dental checkup, your dentist will examine your mouth for signs of dental diseases and other health issues. Your dentist can detect oral health problems by examining your gums and teeth, probing your teeth with dental instruments, and looking at x-rays. Your dentist may also conduct an oral cancer screening during your dental checkup.
Prevent Tooth Loss
Preventing tooth loss requires a long-term commitment to smart, healthy choices. Tooth loss is a process in which a tooth falls out or is extracted. Causes of tooth loss range from poor nutrition, to smoking, poor dental hygiene, diseases, or injury to your teeth. A healthy diet, good dental hygiene, and regular dental visits can help you prevent tooth loss.
Maintain Overall Health
A healthy mouth and healthy body go hand in hand. You may be risking your health if you don’t visit the dentist regularly. Research shows that oral health can have an impact on your overall health. A healthy mouth may reduce your risk of serious diseases and even preserve your memory as you age.
Want a better life? Start with your smile. Call Stone Family Dentistry at (843) 556-6566 now to schedule a dental appointment in Charleston, SC. Maintaining your oral health is important, and a focus on preventative care and the advice of your dentist can help you stay healthy and happy.
Showing off your smile is something that you should feel proud of. Unfortunately, in many situations, your teeth may make you feel just the opposite. With help from your dentist, you can correct the imperfections in your smile with cosmetic dentistry. Find out more about cosmetic dentistry and some of its common procedures with Dr. Denise Stone and Dr. David Stone Jr. at Stone Family Dentistry in Charleston, SC.
Common Cosmetic Dentistry Procedures in Charleston, SC
- Teeth Whitening: Teeth whitening is a procedure which provides big results in a short time frame. During a teeth whitening procedure, whitening gel placed onto the teeth causes a chemical reaction which breaks the bonds holding together its stains molecules, providing a whiter appearance. Teeth whitening procedures usually last about an hour and sometimes require touch-up appointments after about a year.
- Dental Implants: Unlike other tooth replacement options, dental implants replace both a missing tooth and its root. This revolutionary procedure utilizes the body’s natural healing abilities and takes advantage of a process called osseointegration. The bone grows around the implant, which your dentist surgically places, providing a permanent and natural looking tooth replacement.
- Veneers: Dental veneers are porcelain dental restorations which cover the surface of a tooth to provide a whole new look. Veneers can improve the appearance of chipped, cracked, misshapen, discolored, or otherwise compromised teeth.
- Crowns and Bridges: Crowns and bridges can restore the biting surface of your teeth to provide a renewed appearance and functionality. A crown, which fits over a tooth, helps stabilize and protect a weakened tooth. A dental bridge replaces a tooth above the gumline. The bridge uses a dental crown on each side to stay in place.
- Contouring and Reshaping: Contouring and reshaping procedures reshape a tooth’s enamel to improve its appearance. This fast and easy procedure can make a big impact, treating uneven, slightly misshapen, or chipped teeth.
For more information on cosmetic dentistry or its procedures, please contact Dr. Denise Stone and Dr. David Stone Jr. at Stone Family Dentistry in Charleston, SC. Call (843) 556-6566 to schedule your consultation for a cosmetic dentistry procedure with your dentist today!
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.