Posts for: March, 2018
Your smile is one of the first things others see, making it an important part of your first impression. If you do not like the way your teeth look, why not renew them to ensure that you have a smile you feel proud of and feel comfortable using? Luckily, with your restorative dentist, you can do just that, improving your appearance and the functionality of your teeth in one fell swoop. Find out more about restorative dentistry with Dr. Denise Stone and Dr. David Stone at Stone Family Dentistry in Charleston, SC.
What is restorative dentistry?
Though restorative and cosmetic dentistry procedures tend to overlap in what facet of dentistry they fall under, restorative dentistry aims to improve the function of the teeth. A restorative dentistry procedure gives the patient a tooth effective in biting and chewing and does not necessarily focus on improving its appearance. However, many restorative procedures improve the appearance of the tooth as well.
Popular Restorative Dentistry Procedures
- Dental Crowns: Dental crowns restore a damaged tooth to its natural state using a tooth-shaped porcelain cap which fits over the tooth. Crowns can achieve many tasks, including stabilizing a large filling, protecting a tooth from everyday use, or even holding a dental bridge in place.
- Fillings: Dental fillings repair mild to moderate decay which has not yet reached the inside of the tooth to infect its inner tissues.
- Bridges: Dental bridges replace a missing tooth. A removable bridge attaches to the surrounding teeth using metal clasps while a permanent bridge uses dental crowns to stay in place.
- Dental Implants: Dental implants also replace a different tooth, but are surgically implanted into the jawbone in the mouth, ensuring they stay permanently in place and feel and function just like natural teeth.
- Dentures: Dentures replace all of the teeth on an arch. There are many types of dentures available, including traditional, partial, implant-supported, and immediate.
Restorative Dentistry in Charleston, SC
For more information on restorative dentistry, please contact Dr. Denise Stone and Dr. David Stone at Stone Family Dentistry in Charleston, SC. Call (843) 556-6566 to schedule your appointment with your dentist today!