Posts for category: Dental Procedures
Taking care of your teeth is a full-time job, and even healthy smiles can develop cavities or sustain damage. When that happens, Dr. Denise Stone of Stone Family Dentistry in Charleston, South Carolina, is here to help renew your smile. Whether it's a small spot of decay or a knocked-out tooth, we have a variety of restorative dentistry options that can help your teeth look and feel great again. Learn about a few of them here!
Each of your teeth is covered in enamel, a substance made up of minerals (mostly calcium derivatives) that is actually the hardest material in the body. However, the acids that come from bacteria interact with food particles inside your mouth and can cause a breakdown in this layer of the tooth; these are known as dental caries or cavities. Fortunately, restorative dentistry offers a quick fix for this common problem: fillings. Your Charleston dentist will remove the decay from the tooth and then use a ceramic and glass composite to fill in the space. This composite is designed to blend in perfectly with your teeth.
For more extensive decay or large chips, your Charleston dentist may use a crown. Like fillings, crowns are made of ceramic, but they look like the entire visible portion of a tooth, although they are hollow inside, which allows them to fit on top of a damaged tooth and cover it entirely. This keeps the tooth from sustaining any more damage. Crowns are a versatile part of restorative dentistry in general, as they're used to finish root canals and dental implants, as well as support bridges that fill in spaces from missing teeth.
To replace an entire missing tooth, nothing works better than a dental implant. From root to crown, dental implants fill in gaps caused by missing teeth seamlessly, comfortably, and easily. The post of the implant is installed under the gum line in a simple procedure, then the crown is attached later. They're a low maintenance restorative dentistry option, only requiring brushing, flossing, and regular checkups at Stone Family Dentistry in Charleston, SC.
Regardless of your restorative dentistry needs, Stone Family Dentistry can help you! Contact our office in Charleston, South Carolina to schedule an appointment with Dr. Denise Stone. Call (843) 556-6566 today.
Tooth-Colored Fillings Restore Your Smile
Need a dental filling? You're not alone. Most people need a dental filling at some point in their lives. Cosmetic fillings, also called tooth-colored fillings, are used to fill cavities and repair damaged teeth. Stone Family Dentistry, which is located in Charleston, SC, offers a full range of dental services. Dr. Denise Stone and Dr. David Stone, Jr. are some of the top dentists in Charleston, SC. Read on to find out how tooth-colored fillings can restore your smile.
1. Beautify Your Smile- Tooth-colored dental fillings can improve the appearance of your smile. Tooth-colored fillings offer a way to create a more pleasing, natural-looking smile. Amalgam fillings are less popular than tooth-colored fillings because of their silvery appearance. Once your dentist completes your tooth-colored filling, it will look natural and won't be noticeable when you smile, laugh, or speak.
2. Restore Decayed Teeth- Tooth-colored dental fillings are used to repair teeth that have cavities. Cavities are holes in the teeth. Causes of cavities include snacking, sipping sugary drinks, bacteria, and bad oral hygiene. Untreated dental cavities can cause tooth pain, infection and tooth loss.
3. Repair Fractured Teeth- Tooth-colored dental fillings are also used to repair broken teeth. Breaking a tooth is a common phenomenon. An accident, sports injury, or eating something hard can cause a tooth to chip or break. A tooth-colored filling can make your broken tooth look whole and healthy again.
4. Fix Worn-Down Teeth- Your teeth are made from tough stuff. But habits, injuries, and health conditions can lead to wear and tear. Some of the factors that can lead to worn-down teeth are tooth grinding, brushing aggressively, and eating foods that have a high acid content. Tooth-colored fillings can be used to repair worn-down teeth. Tooth-colored fillings are durable and can withstand a lot of wear and tear.
5. Restore Function of Teeth- Tooth colored fillings are incredibly strong and they will restore full function of your damaged or weakened teeth. They're strong enough to withstand biting and chewing forces. Tooth-colored dental fillings can be used on either your front or back teeth.
If you need a dental filling, why wait? We can help you today. Call Stone Family Dentistry at (843) 556-6566 today to schedule a dental consultation with your family dentists in Charleston, SC. We want you to have a strong, healthy smile that looks great, too.
Tooth loss is a common dental issue for patients of all ages. By the age of 50, it’s estimated that Americans have lost an average of 12 teeth according to CDC statistics. Your smile is at risk if you continue to avoid getting a replacement tooth. The dental team at Stone Family Dentistry in Charleston, SC can fill the gap using a restorative treatment called dental implants.
Why It’s Important to Replace a Missing Tooth
Missing a tooth can damage not only your self-confidence, but also the stability of your entire smile. It can cause shifting, which would require orthodontic treatment. It’s uncomfortable to eat when you have large chunks of food caught in the open socket. Losing one tooth is also a slippery slope because it can cause you to neglect your overall dental hygiene, which in turn increases the chance of future tooth loss. It’s best to talk to your dentist about your replacement options very soon after you have a tooth extracted.
Choosing Dental Implants
When you’ve lost a tooth, you may assume that you must deal with a removable device that could slip out anytime and will have an uncomfortable fit. But with a dental implant, you do not have to worry about accidents when you’re around other people. You won’t have to keep your replacement device in a container at night. Once it is placed by your Charleston, SC dentist, it is there for the long-term and can last a lifetime with proper care. You’ll also be able to preserve some healthy bone and give that tissue a chance to regenerate over time.
Your Smile, Restored
You don’t have to give up on your smile after tooth loss—there’s a way to have it fully restored. Implanted teeth are virtually indistinguishable from natural ones, thanks to modern porcelain crowns. They are supported by durable, long-lasting titanium posts, which are hidden in the gumline. Your new tooth will stay rooted in your jaw as long as you brush, floss, rinse, and see your dentist for checkups every year.
Are You a Candidate for Implants?
It’s imperative that you go see your dentist for a consultation very soon to ensure that you’re still a good candidate for a dental implant. Call (843) 556-6566 today to see Dr. Denise Stone or Dr. David Stone at Stone Family Dentistry in Charleston, SC.
If you are the parent of a busy family, you probably know just how much time and effort goes into sticking to the agenda. From getting the kids to baseball practice on time to making sure that Grandma makes it to her fitness class, keeping a busy schedule can prove to be a weary task. Luckily, your family dentist can help you streamline at least one facet of your daily life and make scheduling and attending your family’s dental appointments easy. Find out more about having one dentist for your whole family and how it can benefit you with Dr. Denise Stone and Dr. David Stone, Jr. at Stone Family Dentistry in Charleston, SC.
What is a family dentist?
While some dentists choose to specialize in a certain type of dentistry, like cosmetic or restorative, or particular age, such as only seeing children or adults, a family dentist performs many types of dentistry on patients of any age. This means that your whole family, from your grandparent to your infant, can use the same dentist’s office.
How can family dentistry benefit me?
A family dentist allows you to consolidate your whole family’s dental appointments into a single day, with only one trip back and forth and minimal time off of work and school. Additionally, family dentistry keeps your family’s records all in one place, making them easier to collect if the need ever arose. Children can grow up feeling comfortable with the same dentist and dental practice, helping to normalize dental visits and help minimize dental anxiety.
Family Dentistry in Charleston, SC
If you think you can benefit from consolidating your family’s dental appointments, enjoying the freedom of knowing your dental care is taken care of, and giving your family the opportunity to share the same dentist, Stone Family Dentistry is here to help. For more information on family dentistry or how it can benefit you and your family, please contact Dr. Denise Stone and Dr. David Stone, Jr. at Stone Family Dentistry in Charleston, SC. Call (843) 556-6566 to schedule your appointment with your dentist today!
Your smile is one of the first things others see, making it an important part of your first impression. If you do not like the way your teeth look, why not renew them to ensure that you have a smile you feel proud of and feel comfortable using? Luckily, with your restorative dentist, you can do just that, improving your appearance and the functionality of your teeth in one fell swoop. Find out more about restorative dentistry with Dr. Denise Stone and Dr. David Stone at Stone Family Dentistry in Charleston, SC.
What is restorative dentistry?
Though restorative and cosmetic dentistry procedures tend to overlap in what facet of dentistry they fall under, restorative dentistry aims to improve the function of the teeth. A restorative dentistry procedure gives the patient a tooth effective in biting and chewing and does not necessarily focus on improving its appearance. However, many restorative procedures improve the appearance of the tooth as well.
Popular Restorative Dentistry Procedures
- Dental Crowns: Dental crowns restore a damaged tooth to its natural state using a tooth-shaped porcelain cap which fits over the tooth. Crowns can achieve many tasks, including stabilizing a large filling, protecting a tooth from everyday use, or even holding a dental bridge in place.
- Fillings: Dental fillings repair mild to moderate decay which has not yet reached the inside of the tooth to infect its inner tissues.
- Bridges: Dental bridges replace a missing tooth. A removable bridge attaches to the surrounding teeth using metal clasps while a permanent bridge uses dental crowns to stay in place.
- Dental Implants: Dental implants also replace a different tooth, but are surgically implanted into the jawbone in the mouth, ensuring they stay permanently in place and feel and function just like natural teeth.
- Dentures: Dentures replace all of the teeth on an arch. There are many types of dentures available, including traditional, partial, implant-supported, and immediate.
Restorative Dentistry in Charleston, SC
For more information on restorative dentistry, please contact Dr. Denise Stone and Dr. David Stone at Stone Family Dentistry in Charleston, SC. Call (843) 556-6566 to schedule your appointment with your dentist today!