Posts for category: Cosmetic Dentistry
Dental crowns can help your smile in many situations, such as if a tooth becomes damaged, broken, or heavily decayed. Learning about how dental crowns can help your smile can help you ensure that this is the best treatment for you. Find out more about dental crowns and what they can do for you with Dr. Denise Stone at Stone Family Dentistry in Charleston, SC.
What is a Dental Crown?
Dental crowns are a porcelain dental restoration which protects, stabilizes, or renews a damaged tooth. Crowns can help your smile in numerous ways:
- Replace a missing tooth as part of a dental bridge
- Stabilize a damaged or broken tooth
- Protect a compromised tooth
- Renew the appearance of a misshapen, stained, or discolored tooth
- Cover a dental implant to replace a missing tooth
How does the Crowning Process Work?
The crowning process spans over two phases: one to prepare the tooth and take a mold of the mouth to use in the design process, and one to place the crown permanently onto the tooth. There is usually a two-week window between the appointments, which allows a dental laboratory to create the crown by hand.
First, your Charleston, SC, dentist must prepare your tooth to receive the crown, then take the mold to send to the lab. Then, Dr. Stone will place a temporary restoration to protect the tooth while the lab works on creating the crown itself. Your second appointment will include removing the temporary crown and replacing it with the final restoration.
Dental Crowns in Charleston, SC
If your dentist suggests a dental crown, a consultation will be scheduled to go over the procedure’s pros and cons, process, and other information that can help you decide if this is the best treatment for your tooth.
For more information on dental crowns, please contact Dr. Stone at Stone Family Dentistry in Charleston, SC. Call (843) 556-6566 to schedule your appointment today!
When it's time for a smile makeover, how will you know which cosmetic dentistry procedure is right for you? Cosmetic changes are a specialty at Stone Family Dentistry in Charleston. Dr. Denise Stone guides her patients through the many choices involved in smile makeovers. Whether you want small changes, or extensive rejuvenation of your teeth and gums, your cosmetic dentist can deliver the results.
What is cosmetic dentistry?
For the past three decades, cosmetic dentistry has gained favor across the country. Specially trained cosmetic dentists not only care for the health and longevity of their patients' teeth and gums, they also offer treatment plans which improve:
- Tooth color, shape, and texture
- Dental alignment and bite
- Teeth marred by defects such as hairline cracks, odd size, chips, and more
- Size and location of gum tissue (gummy smile)
At Stone Family Dentistry Charleston, your dentists offer premier diagnostics, imaging, and materials which complete cosmetic makeovers safely and ensure the improvements last with good at-home and in-office care.
Which services are right for you?
Between you and Dr. Stone, you will agree upon a treatment plan, and rest assured, your dentist knows from experience which services work well, depending on age, gender, tooth size and shape and more. Be sure you tell Dr. Stone your preferences because he or she should know what you perceive as the perfect smile. The American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry says that the consultation between dentist and patient is key to successful smile enhancement.
Offered cosmetic dentistry treatments include:
- Dental implants, the state-of-the-art tooth replacements anchored by titanium roots inserted into the jaw for maximum biting force and bone integrity
- Porcelain crowns, ceramic jackets which cover remaining enamel on teeth damaged by decay, injury, and other conditions
- Tooth-colored fillings which restore decayed teeth with a natural-looking resin material
- Composite resin bonding, an acrylic/glass material which adheres to and repairs chips, cracks, and other flaws
- Porcelain veneers, whisper-thin laminates which disguise the front of teeth which are discolored, chipped, or pitted
Maintaining your new smile
- Brush twice a day with a quality toothpaste and a soft toothbrush
- Floss daily to remove deposits of plaque
- See your dentist twice a year for exams and cleanings
- Avoid tobacco of all kinds
- Limit foods and beverages which stain teeth
Cosmetic dentistry is an exciting specialty available to older teen and adult patients at Stone Family Dentistry. For more information on how to rejuvenate your smile and feel more confident, contact the office team in Charleston, SC, for a consultation with Dr. Denise Stone at (843) 556-6566.
Are you doing everything you can to keep your smile healthy? Preventative care is important to maintaining a healthy smile. Preventative care is the care you receive to prevent oral health problems. Stone Family Dentistry, which is located in Charleston, SC, offers a complete range of dental services. Dr. Denise Stone and Dr. David Stone Jr. are some of the finest dentists in Charleston, SC. Read on to find out why preventative care is so important.
Keep Your Smile Healthy
Regular dental visits are essential for the maintenance of healthy gums and teeth. If you need additional help, your dentist may suggest frequent visits. Spend some quality time with your dentist and you'll catch problems at an early stage when they are treatable. By seeing your dentist regularly and practicing good oral hygiene at home, you can help keep your smile healthy for a lifetime.
Prevent Tooth Decay
Plaque is a sticky film that contains bacteria and constantly forms on our teeth. This acidic substance eats away at the tooth enamel and can lead to decay. If not treated, tooth decay can cause infection, tooth pain, and tooth loss. Dental plaque can be removed by flossing and brushing regularly and getting professional dental cleanings.
Prevent Dental Diseases
During your dental checkup, your dentist will examine your mouth for signs of dental diseases and other health issues. Your dentist can detect oral health problems by examining your gums and teeth, probing your teeth with dental instruments, and looking at x-rays. Your dentist may also conduct an oral cancer screening during your dental checkup.
Prevent Tooth Loss
Preventing tooth loss requires a long-term commitment to smart, healthy choices. Tooth loss is a process in which a tooth falls out or is extracted. Causes of tooth loss range from poor nutrition, to smoking, poor dental hygiene, diseases, or injury to your teeth. A healthy diet, good dental hygiene, and regular dental visits can help you prevent tooth loss.
Maintain Overall Health
A healthy mouth and healthy body go hand in hand. You may be risking your health if you don’t visit the dentist regularly. Research shows that oral health can have an impact on your overall health. A healthy mouth may reduce your risk of serious diseases and even preserve your memory as you age.
Want a better life? Start with your smile. Call Stone Family Dentistry at (843) 556-6566 now to schedule a dental appointment in Charleston, SC. Maintaining your oral health is important, and a focus on preventative care and the advice of your dentist can help you stay healthy and happy.
Showing off your smile is something that you should feel proud of. Unfortunately, in many situations, your teeth may make you feel just the opposite. With help from your dentist, you can correct the imperfections in your smile with cosmetic dentistry. Find out more about cosmetic dentistry and some of its common procedures with Dr. Denise Stone and Dr. David Stone Jr. at Stone Family Dentistry in Charleston, SC.
Common Cosmetic Dentistry Procedures in Charleston, SC
- Teeth Whitening: Teeth whitening is a procedure which provides big results in a short time frame. During a teeth whitening procedure, whitening gel placed onto the teeth causes a chemical reaction which breaks the bonds holding together its stains molecules, providing a whiter appearance. Teeth whitening procedures usually last about an hour and sometimes require touch-up appointments after about a year.
- Dental Implants: Unlike other tooth replacement options, dental implants replace both a missing tooth and its root. This revolutionary procedure utilizes the body’s natural healing abilities and takes advantage of a process called osseointegration. The bone grows around the implant, which your dentist surgically places, providing a permanent and natural looking tooth replacement.
- Veneers: Dental veneers are porcelain dental restorations which cover the surface of a tooth to provide a whole new look. Veneers can improve the appearance of chipped, cracked, misshapen, discolored, or otherwise compromised teeth.
- Crowns and Bridges: Crowns and bridges can restore the biting surface of your teeth to provide a renewed appearance and functionality. A crown, which fits over a tooth, helps stabilize and protect a weakened tooth. A dental bridge replaces a tooth above the gumline. The bridge uses a dental crown on each side to stay in place.
- Contouring and Reshaping: Contouring and reshaping procedures reshape a tooth’s enamel to improve its appearance. This fast and easy procedure can make a big impact, treating uneven, slightly misshapen, or chipped teeth.
For more information on cosmetic dentistry or its procedures, please contact Dr. Denise Stone and Dr. David Stone Jr. at Stone Family Dentistry in Charleston, SC. Call (843) 556-6566 to schedule your consultation for a cosmetic dentistry procedure with your dentist today!
Do you have gaps in your smile due to tooth loss? Dental implants can permanently close those gaps and restore your smile. Charleston, SC, dentists Dr. Denise Stone and Dr. David Stone Jr. at Stone Family Dentistry share some important information about dental implants.
The next best thing to your natural teeth
Replacing your entire tooth is a now a possibility, thanks to dental implants. Implants, small posts made of titanium, fit in small holes made in your jawbone during a minor procedure. Soon after the implants are placed in your jaw, they begin to bond the bone and eventually become strong enough to serve as replacement tooth roots. You'll need to be a little patient during this step of the process. Bonding can take three to six months, but it's a particularly essential step. After your dental implants bonds to your bone, crowns will be connected to them. Crowns are created in a dental laboratory and look and function just like your natural teeth.
Replacing a tooth doesn't just improve your appearance
Appearance concerns motivate many people in Charleston to replace lost teeth, but improving your appearance isn't the only benefit of dental implants. In addition to anchoring your teeth in your mouth, implants also exert pressure on your jawbone, which helps it remain strong. After you lose a tooth, your jawbone begins to recede, which can lead to facial sagging and loosening of teeth. Implants take over for your tooth roots and prevent changes to your jawbone.
Eating can be difficult if you've lost a tooth and nearly impossible if you've lost multiple teeth. When eating is a challenge, it may make sense to restrict your diet to softer foods and liquids. Unfortunately, those choices don't always contain the nutrients you need. Dental implants restore your ability to eat normally. They also offer an important advantage that dentures don't. Because dentures rest on your gums, they can't provide the strength you need to bite and chew hard foods. Dental implants are firmly anchored in your mouth and provide the secure foundation you need to enjoy your favorite foods.
Restore your smile with dental implants. Call Charleston, SC, dentists Dr. Denise Stone and Dr. David Stone Jr. at Stone Family Dentistry at (843) 556-6566 to schedule an appointment.